Thursday, October 25, 2012
8:00 p.m. | Pre-concert talk 7:15 p.m.
Our season opens with a weekend of events celebrating the one-hundredth anniversary of the revolutionary composer, artist, and writer John Cage. All three of Cage’s groundbreaking Constructions for percussion ensemble will be interspersed with recent works by emerging American composers, creating a dialogue between a master and some newer voices of contemporary music.
- Lei Liang, Aural Hypothesis (2010, 11’, West Coast premiere)
- John Cage, Second Construction (1940, 7’)
- Missy Mazzoli, Still Life with Avalanche (2008, 10’)
- John Cage, First Construction (in metal) (1939, 10’)
- Samuel Carl Adams, The Piano Trio (2011, 15’, West Coast premiere)
- John Cage, Third Construction (1941, 12’)
Composers Lei Liang, Missy Mazzoli, and Samuel Carl Adams will be present. See samples of their music below!
Presented in association with Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. Click here for ticket information.
Lei Liang –Tremors of a Memory Chord
Missy Mazzoli- Orrizonte
Samuel Carl Adams – The Piano Trio