Are you creative, with a background in classical music? Do you have a design background and writing experience, as well as the technical skills to move across technology platforms efficiently?
Do you want to be a strategic part of a performing arts organization’s growth?
This might be the perfect job for you. We are a small but far-reaching performing arts organization in the San Francisco Bay Area, and we’re looking for you.
San Francisco Contemporary Music Players is looking for a skilled part-time Marketing Director who will be responsible for the organization’s marketing and box office activities.
Our season consists of 4 concerts and 2 community events. We have a modest subscriber base, dedicated patrons, and a rich 47-year history. The skill set required is large in scope, but the tasks are manageable in a part-time position due to the volume of activity required throughout the year.
The Marketing Director reports directly to the Executive Director.
Headquarters: Organization headquarters is in San Francisco, CA.
Telecommuting: Required. Home office must be based in the greater Bay Area to accommodate regular meetings, concerts, and events in San Francisco. The organization has shared work space in San Francisco that is close to BART and MUNI. Employees are welcome to work at the shared work space for up to 15 hours per week.
Relocation: Reimbursement is not provided.
Schedule: Recurring weekly schedule – TBD with the candidate. Recurring weekly schedule preferred during business hours in addition to required hours at all scheduled concerts/events (approx 6 per year). Some weekends and evenings will be required for concerts and events. Recurring hours will be adjusted during concert/event weeks.
Type: Salaried, non-exempt. Approx 14 hours per week.
Salary range: Monthly salary. $2,333 / month.
Appointment dates: Open until filled.
Benefits: Sick, Holiday.
Supervises: Marketing and Box Office Manager.
Collaborate closely with: Executive Director, Artistic Director, Graphic Design contractor, and other SFCMP stakeholders and vendors
- Collaborate closely with Executive Director, Artistic Director, and Artistic Production Director
- Provide internal and external marketing communications with composers, musicians, board of directors and all SFCMP stakeholders
- Write content for press releases, website, digital and print collateral
- Act as primary press contact and press liaison
- Write promotional articles and press pitches as needed
- Manage and update website using WordPress. Responsible for design, backend maintenance, and content updates
- Create, design, and implement email marketing campaigns including content creation, calendar management, segmentation, lists and distribution
- Design and create marketing collateral including program booklets, postcards, brochures, tickets, etc. Work with external graphic designer on some projects.
- Oversee production of print projects
- Manage content and oversee social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Instagram
- Direct events front of house activity and oversee and supervise box office manager
- Direct ticketing and event web pages including website, EventBrite, and Facebook pages
- Design/revise/process surveys and polls
- Edit static video footage from concerts into 3-min segments for posting
- Review and edit external videographers footage
- Design slideshows for display in event lobby area
- Oversee Facebook and Google Ads
- Manage advertising bookings and affiliate swaps
- Review/select event photos and oversee publishing to website and social media
- Oversee and manage concert video footage, external videographers, and internal video projects
- Oversee SWAG orders and inventory
- Oversee equip/swag at events
- Can work independently and keep projects moving forward without direct supervision
- Above-average writing/editing skills and demonstrated history as a strong online communicator, ideally in the music industry
- 3 years of supervisory experience
- 3 years of proven expertise in a graphic design and leadership capacity in the marketing/communications field, including all aspects of the discipline (print, electronic, video, PR., advertising, and events)
- 3 years of experience in the performing arts field of music
- 3 years of recent experience designing and maintaining websites using WordPress
- 3 years of experience using MailChimp or equivalent email marketing software
- 3 years of experience overseeing and implementing social media campaigns
- 2 years of experience writing press releases
- 2 years of recent experience designing print collateral
- 1 year of experience using Google business products e.g Gmail, Google Drive, Google Calendar
- 1 year of experience box office
- Strong understanding of marketing design for performing arts
- Strong sense of graphic design, layout, typography, UI/UX and front-end web development, basic HTML skills
- Experience with responsive template design and mobile environments
- Ability to work well under pressure and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously, producing quality results on time and on budget
- Willingness and ability to learn new platforms
- Ability to develop content and to implement day-to-day tasks
- Self-motivated with proven ability to succeed in a remote working environment: self motivated with ability to manage priorities independently
- Has a home office equipped to accommodate the tasks as needed. SFCMP will provide a printer/scanner, Adobe Creative Suite, Acrobat Pro, MS Office Pro, and Google for Business.
- Excellent customer service and a strong team player
- Excellent organizational skills
- Able to lift heavy objects up to 35lbs
- Online design and writing portfolio is required and must be included with application
- Must be available to work 14 hours a week on a regular schedule during business hours, 4 hours per day 5 days per week
- Advanced knowledge and experience of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- Advanced knowledge of WordPress
- Basic HTML
- MailChimp or equivalent email marketing software
- Experience using Google business products e.g Gmail, Google Drive, Google Calendar
- Basic video editing skills
- Familiarity with box office software
Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, marketing, communications, or related field
-Knowledge of the Bay Area contemporary classical music community
-Sense of humor
HOW TO APPLY
Submit the following in a single combined PDF to Lisa Oman, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter
- URL of WordPress website(s) that you have created or maintained with an explanation of your role
- Press release or article that you wrote (date stamped within the last 3 years)
- E-blast including content that you wrote (date stamped within the last 3 years)
- Design samples that you created (within the last 3 years) which include three of the following five items: brochure, postcard, program booklet, e-blast, social media campaign, poster
Performing arts samples are preferred.
Only applicants who provide all of the above will be considered.
The San Francisco Contemporary Music Players (SFCMP), an ensemble of highly skilled musicians, performs innovative contemporary classical music. We nourish the creation and dissemination of new works through high-quality musical performances, commissions, and community outreach. We promote the music of composers from across cultures and stylistic traditions who are creating a vast and vital 21st century musical language. We seek to share these experiences with as many people as possible, both in and outside of traditional concert settings.
Led by Artistic Director Steven Schick since 2011, SFCMP plays an important role in the regional and national cultural landscape. The most long-standing, continually performing new music ensemble outside the East Coast, SFCMP uses performances, collaborative projects, commissions, and educational outreach activities to give audience members and participants opportunities to discover musical repertoire that is new to them – and to use these experiences as ways to better understand, interact with, and enjoy their lives and our world.
In addition to programmatic innovation, our performances are rooted in artistic virtuosity. Our 24 core musicians are among the Bay Area’s leading performers and educators. They are active as soloists and chamber musicians and leaders of several dynamic performance groups in California and beyond.